Monday, August 26, 2013

Proverbs - Know Your Place

Proverbs 19:10

Delight is not seemly for a fool; much less for a servant to have rule over princes.

I was listening to a news report the other day regarding a teachers’ union.  This teachers’ union was proposing that the teachers themselves would have the authority to fire principals as they sought fit.  This disturbed me.  This is the servant having rule over the princes.  I considered the change up in responsibility and realized that the authority structure cannot work this way.  Sure, input and review might be helpful from subordinates, but to have the authority to fire someone over you reverses the roles and causes confusion. 

In our homes, the husband is head of the wife and the wife should not rule over her husband.  In parenting, the parent makes the decisions not the child.  In the workplace the manager or lead decides the direction not those who serve under him or her.  In each of the roles we face, we must consider our place.  If I am to rule, I must not allow those under me to demand a certain direction.  If I am under someone I must not attempt to rule and get my own way.  All authority has been given by God and He uses the structure to bring forth a flow according to this plan.  Let us cooperate and be faithful in our place.


No comments:

Post a Comment