Friday, November 15, 2013

Proverbs - The Blueness of a Wound

Proverbs 20:30

The blueness of a wound cleanseth away evil:
so do stripes the inward parts of the belly.

Wounds hurt.  We don’t particularly like to be wounded but wounds help our priorities.  We can become rather insensitive and distracted when we don’t feel things.  Even feeling pain, keeps us tender and open to others’ affliction and often cleanses away those things that are unimportant and temporal.  We read of the psalmist’s declaration that “It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes.” (Ps.119:71)  When we are hurting we cry out to the Lord and we set our eyes on Him.  Our intentions become more pure and our heart is not divided between a multitude of pursuits.  We need to let the afflictions we face work a cleansing work within us.  We should bring our wounds to the Lord and ask Him to use them to do a redeeming work in us.  “Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word.” (Ps 119:67)


No comments:

Post a Comment